Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Three Sisters

As I walk into the garden this morning, the butterflies and hummingbirds were playing with the bumblebees amongst the corn. I watch for a while, then leave them alone to enjoy their frolic before the afternoon heat set in. I’ll come back later…. Pumpkins are ripening in the field and on the fence. The fence is cheap. Flimsy green coated wire used to contain tomatoes. I had it left from a project last year. I used it to keep Sage (my son) and Salvador (the dog) out of the garden. Nothing is more destructive to seedlings than a golden retriever and a two year old. I’ve been limiting my gardening spending this year so I utilize what I had. When the vines started to get long, I trained some of them to climb the fence. I didn’t think about the weight of the pumpkins. It is not vital at the moment but all the pumpkins are growing at the top of the fence. The weight will get to be too much soon. So I am in the process of building a support to tie the pumpkins to. They look magickal growing in the air. The sweet corn is really beginning to produce. At last count I have a witches dozen of sweet corn. A few ears are nearing harvest. I can’t wait for the day when I my family sit down to the table and enjoy the fruits of my labor. The stalks are tall and health. They will make a beautiful fall display on the front porch, especially with the Hopi Blue fruiting. Hopefully, the Butcher’s Blood will give me at least one ear. The butternut squash ripen and grow quietly and unassuming among the pumpkins and the corn, happily ripening in the sun. I have been harvesting green beans for a while now. Groups of six plants grow around each of the five corn circles. They are really going crazy. My family is not the only ones enjoying their goodness, but my friends having them for dinner also. I see canning in the near future. Holiday green bean casserole made with fresh canned green beans. Food that from seed, I grew harvested and processed myself. I can taste it now.

2 comments:

  1. I wish we had a change of seasons here!!!! I miss August in New England (it's still summer, but there's that little hint of the fall to come). How cool that you have a garden-nothing better than eating veggies that you planted and nurtured. I just started an herb garden with my little one, but so far it's too soon to tell if anything is going to come up! =) Spiral Scouts is a co-ed group, and so far it seems very cool. I found our group online; maybe do a web search in your area? We didn't have one for a long time, but we are part of a group here for Pagan kids, and one of the Moms started the Spiral Scouts group recently. I'm excited about it!
    Happy weekend!
    -Winterswan (oops-I forgot to sign in...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've tried to organize pagan parent groups here, but most people would RSVP and never show up. We also had a major power struggle. A stay at home dad joined the group and tried to take over. Didn't work well with some of us. Still working on it though.

    ReplyDelete