Saturday, July 11, 2009

Cross Stitch...My first crafting love.

The winter solstice is alway one of my favorite times. I remember growing up we always made ornaments for our tree. My mother wasn't openly wiccan, but she had her tendencies. That could be why she steered me toward that path. I think she secretly wanted to practice the wiccan religion, but she was afraid to upset my grandmother. I grew up disappoiting people so it wasn't a delima for me. I digress..... Before I got pregnant with my son, I purchased the Crafters Corner Stocking kit. It just spoke to me. I always wanted to cross stitch my own stocking, but never could find one that I really liked. After finding the kit I set out on a journey to finish it. I didn't realize how hard it was going to be. I thought that it would only take me a couple of months. I couldn't have been more wrong. The first Yule came and went. I had barely put a dent in it and it was put away for awhile. During this time, I got pregnant so my mind went else where until I had to start staying off my feet. So I picked it back up for a while. By the time I had my son, I finished about a third of it. If you have children you know how crazy things can get. So it went back on the shelf. One day I was looking online at cross stitch patterns and found the one that I wanted for my son. I couldn't start it until I finished mine. So I pulled it off the shelf again. It took me another few months, but I actually finished by last Yule.

2 comments:

  1. I like to cross stitch also but run into the same dilemma as far as time. There isn't enough of it!!!! Kudos to you for getting that piece finished. It looks like it has lots of detail and it came out beautifully. I've been thinking about Yule a lot lately which is funny because Samhain hasn't even arrived and usually that's my favorite holiday. I'm just looking forward to all of the Yule sparkle this year, I guess! Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same way. I try to take all the sabots as they come, but I have a 2 year old so it changes your perspective on everything. I love Yule and Samhain. I actually have a Halloween faery that I am working on now that hope to have done in time. We'll see. I have finished the stitching on my son's. It is the Dragon Dreams stocking. It was a lot easier than the crafters corner. I would like to finish my husbands also before Yule, but let's take things one at a time.

    ReplyDelete